Friday, September 9, 2011

Displaying Photos

As you can see from my last post, I really enjoy taking (and take a lot of) pictures. Now that I've been mostly taking film, I'm actually printing all of my rolls as opposed to keeping them all stacked up and hidden on my hard drive.

I've always wanted a way to display the photos I've taken, and there are tons if ideas online:




I love all 3 of the previous displays, but I wanted something that looked a little more organized, but still very casual.

I like the display below, but I big part of being able to display my favorite pictures is being able to change them out quickly and easily. I know if I had them this neat and orderly that I would never go back and change out old pictures for new ones. Yes, I am that lazy, and most likely I would move on to another project and never look back. If there is one thing I concentrate on doing for myself, it is making things easy.


So I came up with this idea to buy some trim from Lowe's, and make almost flush shelves to lean the photos on... I kept trying to explain this to everyone but nobody could understand just exactly what was going on in my head. Anyway, here is what I ended up with. This project cost about $14. Each piece of trim was ~$7, and I already had the spray paint. 




These two shelves are one piece of trim. I bought two pieces to make four, 48in. shelves.

My thoughts:

I could have gone with a funky color, or stained the wood, but I really wanted the shelves to simply be the medium that held the pictures--not a distraction.

I'm planning to add at least one more shelf above these ones, but just haven't gotten around to it yet! I'll have to find a new place for that little framed picture too.

 I like that I can display different sizes without messing up the "unity" of the pictures. I think the horizontal shelf unifies them enough to throw up some different styles/sizes.

What do you think?

No comments: