Tuesday, April 27, 2010

mmmmm brussels sprouts!

One of my favorite food blogs is The Bitten Word. Not only are these guys my favorite, but they were also named "One of 50 of the world's best food blogs" by The Times of London. If you've never checked out The Bitten Word, you should probably devote at least a few hours to making yourself really hungry.
I love how Clay and Zach (the authors of The Bitten Word) find most of their recipes in food magazines, and then post a "review" on making the recipe, things that worked or didn't work, and the outcome. Anyway, I most certainly shouldn't speak for them, so check it out!

My favorite recipe from The Bitten Word, so far, is for Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

mmmmmm Delicious!

High-fives all around, this recipe is easy, *cheap*, and so so so scrumptious. Yes, I said scrumptious, and because of this post I think I may leave work early and head to the grocery store. If you get a chance to try this recipe, let me know what you think!


The Bitten Word's Roasted Brussels Spouts with Bacon and Apples

1 pound Brussels sprouts
2 slices bacon (uncooked)
1 apple, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes (we use Honeycrisp if available. Gala, Fuji or Pink Lady apples work great too)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Remove any damaged or discolored leaves from the outside of each sprout and cut off the tough white stem base (if necessary). Cut each sprout in half.

Place the Brussels in a roasting pan with the diced apple. Slice 2 slices of bacon into 1/2 inch pieces. Drop them uncooked into the pan with the sprouts and apples. Drizzle the sprouts and bacon generously with olive oil. Toss to combine.

Roast 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Toss. Continue roasting 15 to 20 minutes more, until the vegetables are nicely caramelized.


a quick tip: Make sure to use enough olive oil. I don't mean that you should use the oil the way Paula Deen uses butter, but don't be a wimp with it either. I also like to put at least an extra half of an apple.

Good Luck! Don't forget to check back and let me know how it turned out!

2 comments:

Zach @ The BItten Wortd said...

Hey there! Thanks so much for this shout-out! Glad you're enjoying The Bitten Word, and really happy you like these Brussels sprouts so much. I can't get enough of them, personally.

Thanks again!

ashley said...

wow, Hi Zach! Thank you for the comment and for the delicious blog!